10th day in earthquake disaster: Loss of life 35418
As we enter the 10th day in Kahramanmaraş-centered earthquakes that caused great destruction in 10 cities of Turkey, late search and rescue efforts continue.
According to the latest data, 35 thousand 418 people lost their lives in the earthquake. Thus, the Maraş earthquake, surpassing the 1939 Erzincan Earthquake, was recorded as the earthquake with the highest loss of life in the history of the Republic.
On the other hand, according to the first determinations, it was determined that 211 thousand houses in 47 thousand buildings in the earthquake zone were destroyed, to be demolished immediately and severely damaged.
Earthquakes with a magnitude of 7.7 and 7.6, the epicenter of which was Kahramanmaraş, devastated 10 provinces. According to the latest data announced, a total of 35 thousand 418 people lost their lives in the earthquake, 15 thousand 505 people were injured.
The earthquake struck Kahramanmaraş as well as Gaziantep, Malatya, Batman, Bingöl, Elazig, Kilis, Diyarbakir, Mardin, Siirt, Sirnak, Van, Muş, Bitlis, Hakkari, Adana, Osmaniye and Hatay.
President and AKP Chairman Recep Tayyip Erdoğan stated that after the cabinet meeting, 35 thousand 418 people lost their lives and 105 thousand 505 people were injured in the earthquake. “13,208 of our wounded are still being treated in our hospitals,” Erdogan said.
Erdogan also gave information about the buildings in the earthquake zone. “So far, 1 million 850 thousand houses and workplaces in approximately 369 thousand buildings in the earthquake zone have been inspected by the teams of the Ministry of Environment, Urbanization and Climate Change,” said Erdogan, adding, “According to the initial determinations, 211,000 houses in 47 thousand buildings in the earthquake zone have been destroyed, will be demolished urgently, and heavily damaged. It was found to be damaged,” he said.
On the other hand, the Maraş earthquake was lost as the earthquake that experienced the most loss of life in the history of the Republic.
According to the data of the Kandilli Observatory, 32 thousand 968 people lost their lives in the Erzincan Earthquake with a magnitude of 7.9 on December 26, 1939.
In Kahramanmaraş, 42-year-old Meryem İmamoğlu was pulled out of the rubble alive after 222 hours.
The teams working on the wreckage in Hayrullah Mahallesi Özdemirler Apartment headed under the debris upon the sound of ‘help’. The teams determined that Meryem İmamoğlu was alive and contacted them. After the studies, Meryem İmamoğlu was pulled out of the wreckage by UMKE teams by opening an intravenous line and inserting serum. It was learned that İmamoğlu, who was transferred to the hospital, was conscious.
General Directorate of Security: 613 account managers who made provocative posts about the earthquake on social media platforms were identified, legal action was initiated against 293 of them. 78 people were detained, 20 of them were arrested. It was ensured that websites prepared for fraud were closed.
After the 7.7 and 7.6 magnitude earthquakes in Kahramanmaraş, the foreign search and rescue teams who came to help to participate in the work in the earthquake area continue to return to their countries. The Casa-type military cargo plane, which departed from Adıyaman, brought 38 Lithuanian search and rescue teams participating in the earthquake zone to Istanbul. It has been learned that Lithuanian search and rescue teams will go to Istanbul Airport and from there to Lithuania with buses waiting on the apron.
The Presidential Circular on public employees in the disaster area was published in the Official Gazette. According to the circular, public employees deemed to be on administrative leave will be deemed to have actually fulfilled their duties. The financial, social rights and benefits and other personal rights of the employees will be reserved.
Thirty people injured in the earthquake were brought to Istanbul by the C130 military cargo plane of the 222nd Fleet, which departed from Adana. The non-commissioned officer on the apron gave his coat to the earthquake survivor who got off the plane.
After the earthquakes in Kahramanmaraş, 11 trucks of humanitarian aid materials sent from Ukraine, Romania, Bosnia and Herzegovina, Pakistan and Canada were sent to Kayseri Erkilet Military Airport by military cargo plane. It has been learned that aid materials will be sent to earthquake zones from here.
In Osmaniye, which was affected by the Kahramanmaraş-centered earthquakes, 4 of the 14 suspects taken into custody regarding the construction defects and column cutting allegations related to the collapsed buildings were arrested.
According to the information received from the Osmaniye Chief Public Prosecutor’s Office, the investigation continues into the construction defects detected in the buildings and sites that were destroyed in the Kahramanmaraş-centered earthquake that occurred on 6 February in Osmaniye and caused many deaths.
11 of the 14 suspects detained within the scope of the investigation, whose procedures were completed, were referred to the courthouse.
Four of the suspects were released after the prosecution questioned.
4 of the 7 suspects who were brought to the duty judgeship with a request for arrest were arrested, the others were released on condition of judicial control.
The proceedings of the three suspects are continuing.
You must log in to post a comment.