AsiaBreaking NewsDailyGeneralHotWorld

Afghanistan:Taliban trouble continues they attack presidental palace / Breaking News


Suicide attackers fought security forces for around an hour and blew up a car bomb outside Afghanistan’s presidential palace after infiltrating one of Kabul’s most secure areas.

Fighting also took place nearby at the Afghan ministry of defence and the former Ariana hotel, which is used by the CIA.

The Taliban, which several days ago was preparing for peace talks with the US, claimed responsibility for the attack and suggested all three buildings had been targeted.

It was one of the most brazen assaults in the capital since President Hamid Karzai narrowly escaped assassination in April 2008 when the militant group attacked an annual military parade.

The latest attack, in the central Shash Darak district, took place at around 6.30am local time.

Police said up to four gunmen jumped out of a car and opened fire after being stopped by security forces trying to use fake documents to get through a checkpoint.

They were reportedly wearing military uniforms and the car was fitted with radio antennae to make it look like an ISAF vehicle.

All the assailants were killed in the gunfight, and one palace security guard was wounded, said a police spokesman.

A car bomb also exploded outside the palace and there were reports of more than one vehicle device.

The attack began on the palace’s east gate as reporters gathered ahead of a news conference with Mr Karzai, who was expected to talk about ongoing efforts to open peace talks with the Taliban.

It was not immediately clear whether Mr Karzai was inside the building at the time of the assault.

Schoolchildren walking to classes nearby were also caught in the exchanges.


The palace is in a large fortified area of Kabul that also includes the US Embassy and the headquarters for the Nato-led coalition forces. Access is heavily restricted.

The Taliban said it carried out the attack in a text message to Kabul reporters from spokesman Zabihullah Mujahid.

“Today at 6.30am a number of suicide bombers attacked the presidential palace, defence ministry and the Ariana hotel,” he said, adding the militants had “brought death to the enemy”.

Talks between the US officials and the Taliban had been set to take place last Thursday in Qatar.

But Afghan government anger at the fanfare surrounding the opening of the Taliban office in the Gulf state threw preparations into confusion.

The opening of the Taliban office was ostensibly a practical step to pave the way for peace talks to end Afghanistan’s 12-year-old war.

But the official-looking protocol surrounding the event raised angry protests in Kabul that the office would develop into a Taliban government-in-exile.

The militants have indicated they are willing to open peace talks with the US and the Afghan government.

However, at the same time they have not renounced violence and attacks have continued across Afghanistan.

Meanwhile, a roadside bomb in the south of the country killed eight women and one child as they travelled to celebrate a wedding engagement.

“A roadside bomb hit a civilian car in which eight women and one child were killed, and the driver and two other men were wounded,” said Ghorzang Afridi, spokesman for the Kandahar provincial police.

“They were members of the same family and were going to mark their son’s engagement at the bride’s home.”


Show More

Related Articles

Back to top button
Breaking News
%d bloggers like this: