India is observing the 5th anniversary of terror attacks in Mumbai (India’s financial capital) in which about 166 people were killed.
New Delhi, Nov 26/Nationalturk – India is observing the 5th anniversary of 2008 terror attacks in Mumbai (India’s financial capital) in which about 166 people were killed and India’s Defence Minister has asked Pakistan to act against perpetrators for the terror attack.
On November 26, 2008, ten armed gunmen from Pakistan launched attacks at different places in Mumbai. The gunmen attacked Chhatrapati Shivaji Terminus, Taj Mahal Hotel, Chabad House and Leopold Café. The attack continued for three days and ended after Indian security forces killed nine gunmen. About 166 people, including six Americans, were killed in the attack, one of the worst in Indian history.
One of the attackers, Ajmal Kasab, a Pakistani citizen, was captured alive. He was hanged in November last year after a trial.
‘Pakistan’s security, intelligence agencies blamed for 26/11’
India blamed Pakistan’s security and intelligence agencies for the terrorist attack and snapped ties with the country. India has asked Pakistan to act against the mastermind and other persons involved in planning of the attack and handling of the attackers. India blames Pakistan’s Jamaat-u-Dawah chief and founder of militant group Lashkar-e-Toiba Hafiz Saeed for planning the Mumbai 26/11 attacks and has asked Pakistan to hand him over to the country for investigations.
However, Pakistan has rejected the charge and demanded evidence against him. After the Mumbai attacks, Pakistan detained Hafiz Saeed but after remaining in prison for some time, he was freed by the court citing lack of evidence.
Islamabad has detained Lakhvi, some other suspects
Pakistan has detained top Lashkar-e-Toiba commander Zaki-ur-Rehman Lakhvi and some other persons for their alleged involvement in planning of the attack. India has handed over 15 dossiers against the six masterminds including Lakhvi. India has also been pushing Pakistan to send a team to India to record evidence in the case and brought up the need for justice in every India-Pakistan meeting.
‘Pakistan should award maximum punishment to perpetrators of crime’
India Defence Minister A K Antony has said India will not be satisfied till Pakistan gives maximum punishment to the perpetrators of Mumbai terror attack.
“Pakistan should book the culprits and award maximum punishment to them. Unless this happen, I don’t think India will be satisfied,” he said.
Antony demanded that the perpetrators of the crime should be brought to book.
Referring to security point of view, he said coastal security was very weak before the 2008 attacks but now it was vibrant and strong.
In a related development UN Secretary General Ban Ki-moon’s spokesperson Martin Nesirky was quoted as saying by India’s wire news agency PTI that it was important that the perpetrators of the terrible crime should be brought to justice.
“The 26/11 terror attack was a terrible crime, an awful terrorist attack. It is important that those who were responsible are brought to justice. There has already been some action in that regard,” he said.
Write your comments and thoughts below
Faiz Ahmad / NationalTurk India News