Middle East

Qatar 2022: Security guard dies at Lusail Stadium

World Cup security guard dies after "fall" at Lusail stadium

A security guard originally from Kenya who allegedly fell while on duty at Qatar’s Lusail Stadium has died at hospital, his family confirmed to CNN.

His employer had notified the migrant worker’s family on Saturday that John Njue Kibue, 24, had fallen from the eighth floor of the stadium while on duty, his sister Ann Wanjiru said. A medical certificate obtained by CNN shows that he was admitted to the Intensive Care Unit (ICU) at Hamad General Hospital in Doha.

The document says that Njue had “serious head injuries, facial fractures and pelvic fractures.”

In a statement on Saturday, World Cup organizers the Supreme Committee for Delivery and Legacy said a guard had “suffered a serious fall while on duty” before receiving on-site treatment and being “transferred to the unit intensive care unit at Hamad Medical Hospital by ambulance”.

The statement added that Qatar is “investigating the circumstances leading to the downfall as a matter of urgency.”

He has been unconscious since Saturday and was connected to a machine to help him breathe, his medical records show. A family member was informed Monday morning of his death.

He is the second migrant worker reported dead since the tournament began in the Gulf nation after another died in unclear circumstances at a resort used by the Saudi Arabian national team during the group stage.

But the security guard’s family says his Qatari employer has not explained how he fell or any of the circumstances surrounding his death.

“We want justice. We want to know what caused his death. They never sent us a photo to show where he fell from or gave us any other information,” his sister Wanjiru told CNN.

CNN has contacted them for comment after the guard’s death and has yet to receive a response.

In a statement to CNN, the Kenyan embassy in Qatar said it was aware of the matter and was “providing the necessary consular assistance while awaiting official communication from the Qatari Supreme Committee and the relevant authorities.”

The guard’s family says he moved to Qatar last November on a contract with Al Sraiya Security Services. CNN has contacted the company, but has not received a response.

A WhatsApp message seen by CNN was sent to colleagues at other World Cup stadiums asking for contributions.

“He came here to support his family at home, but unfortunately his dreams ended today,” it reads in part. “Let’s do something for our beloved comrade.”


Related Articles

Bir yanıt yazın

Başa dön tuşu
Breaking News