The 35-year-old announces this in an emotional Instagram post.
Sebastian Vettel will end his Formula 1 career. The four-time world champion announced this on Thursday afternoon on Instagram. “I will end my time in Formula 1 at the end of the year,” said the 35-year-old in an all-black-and-white video.
“I’ve had the privilege of working with fantastic people in Formula 1 over the past 15 years. The decision to resign was difficult. I’ve thought about it for a long time,” said Vettel: “I’ll think about what I’ll do in the future I’ll be able to concentrate. But what’s clear to me is that I want to spend more time with my family.”
“I’ll give my all”
However, it is not yet time to “say goodbye, but thank you,” emphasized Vettel and promised: “I will give everything in the remaining races, as I have always done.” Vettel’s contract with Aston Martin expires at the end of the season, and his future has been discussed for some time. The pilot himself now provided clarity about the further course of his racing career.
Vettel won his four titles from 2010 to 2013, at that time still with Red Bull – with this racing team he had the most successful time of his career. Vettel has been in the premier class since 2007, started his career in the racing series at BMW-Sauber and also sat in the cockpit of Toro Rosso (2007/08). After his time at Red Bull, the Hessian should lead Scuderia Ferrari back to success, win world titles – but failed as a great hope in six years with the traditional racing team from Maranello.
In 2021, Vettel switched to Aston Martin, who had returned to Formula 1, with a manageable yield so far. Even with the British racing team, he was no longer granted any major successes.